You can fork the wallet if you have total control over the generation
of the wallet such as the exchanges did.  You then hide the cloned
wallet behind a firewall in which you control the gate.  I think we
will find that MtGox work involved insiders or at least those IT folks
who ran their servers.

Regardless, this will all come out in the end.