On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM, Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The most flexible explanation of the LENR reaction is one that entails a
> powerful bolt of energy impacting on an unspecified but variable pile of
> atoms that result in any sort of recombination of any number of protons and
> neutrons coming back together. ... This powerful bolt of energy would
> supply the power to permit endothermic nuclear processes to proceed. ...
> LENR is more like an atom smasher then a tokomak.

This is a detail worth thinking about, since the transmutations are all
over the map.  If nuclear reactions are the main show, as is my guess, the
strong force is no doubt involved.  When the strong force is involved, it
is difficult to contemplate an pathway that does not end in an abrupt
tunneling of some kind, even if you miraculously step things down
significantly beforehand.  In a nuclear reaction, there's going to be an
abrupt transition.  So my guess is that there's good old-fashioned beam
collisions occurring, with every ambient species getting mixed into the
beam pathway, and the environment is different from a plasma in some
important way:

http://i.imgur.com/PoRGR7G.png

The blue is a current of protons from one electrically insulated metal
grain to another, undergoing z-pinch, which focuses it.  I read a few days
ago that a photon will not interact with a free electron; in order for a
scattering to occur, there has to be an electromagnetic field present.  I'm
guessing that a strong electromagnetic field alters the usual branches
dramatically.

(I suppose there may be something nonnuclear going on along the lines that
Jones suggests, which results in prompt emissions as a minor side channel.
 Less likely, perhaps years of transmutation studies are all in error and
due to contamination.  But I would not place my bets on these explanations.)

Eric