There is plenty of evidence down-conversion of gammas, but the problem is
that it is never complete nor predictable conversion and it always happens
in a few medium sized steps instead of large packets of energy going to tiny
packet in one step. Proof to follow.

And seldom does gamma conversion go directly to phonons. It drops all the
way to IR, first - and then to phonons. There is no coupling otherwise.
Hagelstein has never been able to find a physical model for his contention,
not even one which is remotely close - and it is amazing that he has not
thrown in the towel on a losing battle. It simply does not happen in the
real world.

The charts embedded here show that every element in the periodic table
downshifts gammas into x-rays first and the spectra are irregular.
http://ie.lbl.gov/xray/mainpage.htm

In no case is gamma radiation downshifted without an obvious x-ray
signature. Curious story in these charts.... and a bona fide x-ray energy
anomaly does turn up here. Look at the element Scandium (It is element
21Sc). Pay attention to the scale on the left of its chart. Then compare Sc
with any, or all of the other secondary emitters in the periodic table.
Incredible.

Scandium is an x-ray multiplier of huge proportions, such that it appears to
be OU for x-rays, in itself. This could be put to good use in LENR if there
were gammas to multiply.

                From: Bob Higgins

                I believe Peter Hagelstein is excited about the Karabut
result because he believes that Karabut demonstrates high energy x-ray
photons being synthesized by a collective sum of much lower energy lattice
phonons.  If it is possible for this up-conversion to occur, then it lends
credibility to his theory that the down-conversion of high energy photons to
lattice phonons (fractionalization) can occur as he predicts with his
theory.

                Bob H.

                Foks0904 wrote:

                I think Hagelstein draws on Karabuts work as well, but the
relevance to his model is not readily apparent as Peter's work is hard to
understand sometimes (for a layman like me), maybe other theorists have as
well but I didn't understand how his observations were incorporated into
their work.