On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

Hagelstein has never been able to find a physical model for his contention,
> not even one which is remotely close - and it is amazing that he has not
> thrown in the towel on a losing battle. It simply does not happen in the
> real world.

I agree with you on this one, Jones.  Even a year ago I was persuaded that
there must be some kind of high-energy gamma downconversion at play (or, as
was suggested, possibly some upconversion).  But I don't find this a
promising lead anymore.  I find even less likely the possibility that the
downconversion would be mediated by phonons (although I'm not exactly sure
what Hagelstein's position is on this subject).

Eric