From: Eric Walker [mailto:eric.wal...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:56 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:global warming?

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Chris Zell
<chrisz...@wetmtv.com<mailto:chrisz...@wetmtv.com>> wrote:

This doesn't mean that they need to be able to forecast tomorrow's lottery
numbers ( in effect) but we should expect that they can create predictive
graphs that follow emerging reality with a reasonable fit - and frankly, that's
where the problem seems to be.

Given your acquaintance with the field and familiarity with its complete
failure to predict anything, I am confident that you and others will be able to
draw to our attention to a persistent pattern of failed predictions that
demonstrate, beyond a handful of high-profile news-makers, a chronic record of
a science-that-is-not-a-science.  I'm sure you can help us to better understand
the poor state of the field by characterizing the error of climate science with
some specificity -- for example, "no climate model has had a record of
predicting the three-year moving average temperature to better than 60 percent
(10 percent above random) when run over a period of more than 10 years" (this
is an example that I pulled out of thin air).  To demonstrate the failure of a
field, obviously we will not be able to do very much with a handful of
prominent failures.  We must show that the all of the work of the field, taken
together, is as good as rolling dice for helping us to understand long term
climate change.

I would be very interested in some quantification of the failure of climate
science.

Eric