From: Jones Beene
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2014 3:24 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: [Vo]:A Stake in the Heart - a stunning revelation

Well, Ruby I hope Miles is correct (from the standpoint of strong LENR advocacy
on my part) and I thank you for following up with the proper question. All of
us here should only be concerned with the science – not promoting one theory or
another. Most of us do want to promote a proper understanding of what makes
LENR work, however and sometimes that goes against the grain.

Funny thing, however, in trying to move in that direction. What is more basic
and fundamental as a measurement value which needs to be known - than the mass
of the proton? Let’s focus on that simple item - wrt the broad claim of
accuracy at the ppb range.

Let me say that as a personal interest, since this is somewhat related but not
exactly - I have a collection of mass measurements of the proton, from
different Labs around the world, over different time frames.

Conveniently, for this discussion - the mass variation in these measurements
goes down to around the 9-10 significant digits, but that is where the fun
starts. In this case we are not talking about dilution of helium in a mixed
gas, but the claim that 1 ppb mass variation with good accuracy is possible.
Yes, I realize this is not apples-to-apples, but I think it makes the point
that Miles claim is not believable as a practical matter, when it comes down to
real-world applicability.

The CODATA “recommended” value for proton mass is

     1.672 621 777(74) x 10-27 kg

Where 74 ppb is the supposed error range – which would be mean that top labs
should all come in with something similar – correct? Even so, this error range
is well over 1 ppb and it represents the best effort, Worldwide - for a most
important value.

Variation is actual measurements, however, as published over the years is huge
- especially in countries which may not have wanted to follow the Western lead,
and especially back in the nineties. Even Jefferson Lab, no slouch when it
comes to measurement - reports a value that diverges way back at the ppm range,
as do dozens if not hundreds of other measurements, and most of them were back
when Miles work was being done.

If the experts cannot get their act together - at greater than ppm on the mass
of the proton, given its importance to physics, then I’m simply far from
confident that one can accurately discriminate in a situation where there is
claimed to be a few ppb of an atom of helium in a mix, the other components of
which are so close.

Of course, I have never claimed to be an expert on this, only a collector of
information from various sources - but I have talked to several experts who
agree that this talk about accuracy in the ppb range is closer to wishful
thinking than something which can be taken as fact.

For me, and despite what Miles has told you today - the lack of gammas
overwhelms any claim that I have seen of helium in proportion to heat. But
again, all it takes is an experiment where ppm of helium is being made, and we
should have that report in a matter of months.

The think I find most alarming is the “circle the wagons” mentality that seems
to be happening in certain cliques against Mizuno’s work. It is anti-scientific
and counter-productive.

From: Ruby

>From Dr. Melvin Miles:

"Jones Beene is simply wrong about the accuracy of helium-4 measurements.  The
laboratories that I used for my samples specialized in highly accurate helium
measurements.  The DOI lab in Texas could easily measure 1 ppb.  The Rockwell
lab with Dr.Brian Oliver was even better with an accuracy of 0.1 ppb."

Ruby