Brian Ahern just called me to say that he spoke with expert in thermal
imaging. The expert went over the paper and said this was exactly the right
kind of camera for these materials and this range of temperatures. The guy
said surface roughness and various other factors come into play. He knows
something about alumina and he said these are the instruments and
wavelengths he would select.

Brian said his own doubts have been resolved.

Normally I would have jotted down more details, such as the expert's name,
but I didn't because Brian promised to send me a note with the particulars.
It occurs to me he is not a good correspondent. He is a busy bee . . . If
he does not send me the info. I'll call him back and get it.

This expert does things like measure the temperature of rocket plumes. I
told Brian I have heard of people using IR cameras for volcanoes. They are
good for uncontrolled, high-temperature phenomena.

Details to follow.

Brian is a good egg.