r937 wrote:
... I don't have to fire up my browser and visit a particular
site in order to search for a thread that I once posted on

with a forum, you get an email every time someone replies in a thread that you're subscribed to

you are automatically subscribed to every thread in which you have posted, and you can subscribe to other threads as well

so this is ~much~ better than a mailing list, because

1. you get emails for every thread you're interested in, and

2. you ~don't~ get emails for ~everything~ that's posted on the forum

some people might view this second point as a drawback ("i don't get to see everything that's going on any more") but it's really a feature -- you can easily see the "everything" list of posts by visiting the "get new posts" page in the forum

i've been on multiple forums for between 7 and 9 years, and forums are more member-friendly than mailing lists

I respectfully disagree.

This is a quiet community; I'm not going to be checking a forum every day or two to see if there's any new messages; if and when there are, I want them delivered to me. I suspect many other members will likely feel the same way.

If we moved to a forum, lots of questions that would have been answered quite promptly on the list would never be answered (or would be answered so late as to make the answers unlikely to help any more) simply because people won't see the question.

I've been on (and am still a member of) various forums, and also an a member of various mailing lists) - I find mailing lists infinitely more useful.

Forums have their uses, but I really don't think one would be suited to this community.

This isn't a high-volume list, it's not like you get flooded with mail, and any half-decent email client can filter mail however you want.

Cheers

Dave P

To Join wdvltalk, Send An Email To:
mailto:subscribe-wdvlt...@intm-dl.sparklist.com or