On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Patrick Roland Gansterer <par...@paroga.com
> wrote:

> Bradley Nelson:
> > 1. Ability to incrementally transition on Windows. It took us about 6
> >  months to switch fully to gyp. Previous attempts to move to scons had
> >  taken a long time and failed, due to the requirement to transition while
> >  in flight. For a substantial period of time, we had a hybrid of checked
> in
> >  vcproj and gyp generated
> CMake should be treated like a separate buildsystem like qmake or gyp
> during a
> possible switch.

The point was that we wanted to be able to switch over in a gradual fashion,
not by constructing a complete, functional parallel build system and then
"throwing the switch".

If you take a look in the current vcprojs you can't understand them more
> easy
> than compared to CMake IMHO.
> Anyway: How often do you look at these settings? I use the IDE only for
> writing code and debugging. I do all my buildsystem changes directly in the
> CMake files. If i see the source files in the IDE I'm already happy. Do you
> have other requirements?

AIUI, readability isn't the issue, it's the ability for e.g. Visual Studio
to correctly understand dependencies itself so that incremental builds from
inside the IDE (which is where most Windows Chromium developers do their
builds) work correctly and are as fast as possible (e.g. the null build
should take close to zero time and not have to rerun steps or relink
executables).

PK