On 3/19/07, Christoph Zwerschke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chuck Esterbrook wrote:
> > I had a problem on Mac using Webware out of the repository where the
> > AutoReload feature would not work. I believe it threw an exception
> > related to importing modules, but it's been awhile.
> > I'll try to test it out this week and see if I can reproduce and fix it.
>
> Unfortunately I have no Mac experience and equipment, so it will be good
> if you check this. The only thing I did last time was running the tests
> on a Mac in the SourceForge compile farm, but that probably didn't cover
> the AutoReload feature.
>
> > I really think we should up the requirement *after* 1.0 since we're so
> > close to 1.0 right now.
>
> Ok. I'll postpone major changes until then. We can then maintain the
> stable branch as 1.0.x and continue with 1.1 or 2.0 depending on how
> radically we're going to change and break things, or maybe we make two
> steps. I like your idea of properties with the __call__ hack for
> backward compatibility.
>
> Another question is whether we should support WSGI and develop Webware
> in a similar direction as Ian's "Wareweb", maybe reusing some of his
> idea and code.
>
> Btw, how do you think about the transition from tabs to spaces? Before
> 1.0, after 1.0, or never? ;-) 4 spaces are standard per PEP 008, and it
> seems they will even become standard for C sources of Python 3K.

What about [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s suggestion:
"""
What if you stayed with tabs and then added a converter, so that you
can quickly convert the tabs to the number of spaces that you want?
In fact, this might be a good idea for a lot of free source Python
projects distributed on the web -- though I would suspect it would be
better to use tabs as the default and offer the ability to convert to
space because sometimes it's possible it might not look quite right
converting a project coded for spaces to tabs.
"""

It allows everyone to use their favorite approach.

You mentioned something about patches being a mess, but I don't see
why. People could send in patches as "all spaces" or "all tabs" or am
I not thinking of something?

I suppose there would then be a burden on people who use spaces to
invoke a script prior to checkin, but could that also be done via a
script? Something like:

# ci
tabify -r .
svn ci $*
spacify -r .

The "-r ." could actually be the default behavior of tabify and spacify.
The ci script could be put in your path.

Would this make life better?

-Chuck