I hadn't expected the issue is still so controversial ;-)

>> It still would be inconvenient, because you always have to think about
>> this issue and either convert back and forth manually, or use a script,
>> or change the settings in your editor. I'm working with a lot of Python
>> code from various sources, and they all use 4 spaces for indentation
>> since it's recommended in PEP8. I do not even need to think about tabs
>> and tab sizes any more, it's only Webware where I need to worry.
>
> Well, actually why do you need to worry? I set my editor to Tab Size =
> 4 years ago and that was it. You can even do Tab = 3 or Tab = 2 if
> your preference is different than mine.

The point is I have set my editor to spaces instead of tabs. Now when I
edit a Webware file without thinking of that (I usually don't use
visible whitespace), then I produce files with mixed tabs and spaces.
Ok, I can install a tabification mechanism before saving or checking in,
but I don't want to run this on other sources which use spaces.

> Ah ha! You said, "I can live with tabs very well."

Yes. But without them I could live even better ;-)

Anyway, since you consider it a major change and still like tabs, let's
keep tabs for the time being. In the next major version, when we
modernize the code and much of it will be changed anyway (if this ever
happens), we should seriously discuss this again. Maybe Guido has
already changed the Google conventions by then ;-)

-- Christoph