On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 3:14 AM, Daniel Stenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Donald Allen wrote:
>
>> The page I get is what would be obtained if an un-logged-in user went to
>> the specified url. Opening that same url in Firefox *does* correctly
>> indicate that it is logged in as me and reflects my customizations.
>
> First, LiveHTTPHeaders is the Firefox plugin everyone who tries these stunts
> need. Then you read the capure and replay them as closely as possible using
> your tool.
>
> As you will find out, sites like this use all sorts of funny tricks to
> figure out you and to make it hard to automate what you're trying to do.
> They tend to use javascripts for redirects and for fiddling with cookies
> just to make sure you have a javascript and cookie enabled browser. So you
> need to work hard(er) when trying this with non-browsers.
>
> It's certainly still possible, even without using the browser to get the
> first cookie file. But it may take some effort.

I have not been able to retrieve a page with wget as if I were logged
in using --load-cookies and Micah's suggestion about 'Accept-Encoding'
(there was a typo in his message -- it's 'Accept-Encoding', not
'Accept-Encodings'). I did install livehttpheaders and tried
--no-cookies and --header <cookie info from livehttpheaders> and that
did work. Some of the cookie info sent by Firefox was a mystery,
because it's not in the cookie file. Perhaps that's the crucial
difference -- I'm speculating that wget isn't sending quite the same
thing as Firefox when --load-cookies is used, because Firefox is
adding stuff that isn't in the cookie file. Just a guess. Is there a
way to ask wget to print the headers it sends (ala livehttpheaders)?
I've looked through the options on the man page and didn't see
anything, though I might have missed it.