Donald Allen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 3:14 AM, Daniel Stenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Donald Allen wrote:
>>
>>> The page I get is what would be obtained if an un-logged-in user went to
>>> the specified url. Opening that same url in Firefox *does* correctly
>>> indicate that it is logged in as me and reflects my customizations.
>> First, LiveHTTPHeaders is the Firefox plugin everyone who tries these stunts
>> need. Then you read the capure and replay them as closely as possible using
>> your tool.
>>
>> As you will find out, sites like this use all sorts of funny tricks to
>> figure out you and to make it hard to automate what you're trying to do.
>> They tend to use javascripts for redirects and for fiddling with cookies
>> just to make sure you have a javascript and cookie enabled browser. So you
>> need to work hard(er) when trying this with non-browsers.
>>
>> It's certainly still possible, even without using the browser to get the
>> first cookie file. But it may take some effort.
>
> I have not been able to retrieve a page with wget as if I were logged
> in using --load-cookies and Micah's suggestion about 'Accept-Encoding'
> (there was a typo in his message -- it's 'Accept-Encoding', not
> 'Accept-Encodings'). I did install livehttpheaders and tried
> --no-cookies and --header <cookie info from livehttpheaders> and that
> did work.

That's how I did it as well (except I got the headers from tcpdump); I'm
using Firefox 3, so don't have access to FF's new sqllite-based cookies
file (apart from the patch at
http://wget.addictivecode.org/FrontPage?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=wget-firefox3-cookie.patch).

> Some of the cookie info sent by Firefox was a mystery,
> because it's not in the cookie file. Perhaps that's the crucial
> difference -- I'm speculating that wget isn't sending quite the same
> thing as Firefox when --load-cookies is used, because Firefox is
> adding stuff that isn't in the cookie file. Just a guess.

Probably there are session cookies involved, that are sent in the first
page, that you're not sending back with the form submit.
- --keep-session-cookies and --save-cookies=<foo.txt> make a good
combination.

> Is there a
> way to ask wget to print the headers it sends (ala livehttpheaders)?
> I've looked through the options on the man page and didn't see
> anything, though I might have missed it.

- --debug

- --
HTH,
Micah J. Cowan
Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer.
GNU Maintainer: wget, screen, teseq