* Hrvoje Niksic ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [20010305 18:44]:

> Yes.  I hate them for making that change, but apparently it's allowed
> (or even required, I forget now) by the applicable standards.

It is required. LC_MESSAGES and LC_CTYPE are two different and independent
locale categories.

> Philipp, you've nailed it down -- the ctype change is the reason why I
> didn't want to make that change.

That's what I thought :) Seems like very few authors took heed of the
implications that the locale support in the standard C library brought with
it. As a result, nearly every package that supports i18n and uses ctype.h
macros either needs to be audited very closely (there could be places that
locale dependency is wanted) or needs to use a locale independent ctype.h
replacement.

> If the sage-ctype thing is not too ugly, using it would be acceptable.

Look for yourself :) I've attached safe-ctype.h from libiberty.

> If/when you're making the change, don't forget to make the patch
> against the latest CVS sources.

I'm just now checking out the CVS tree and'll make the patch against it.

>  Thanks for your effort.

Well, as it's in my direct interest to have a correct package for our
distribution, this comes naturally ;-)

Philipp

--
Philipp Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Development, SuSE GmbH, Schanzaecker Str. 10, D-90443 Nuremberg, Germany

Penguins shall save the dinosaurs
                          -- Handelsblatt about Linux on S/390