"Roger L. Beeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
>
>> Agreed wholeheartedly, but how would you *implement* a non-jittering
>> ETA?  Do you think it makes sense the way 1.8.1 does it, i.e. to
>> calculate the ETA from the average speed?
>
> One common programming technique is the exponential decay model.

Sounds cool.  Do you have a pseudocode or, failing that, a reference
easy enough that even a programmer of Unix command-line utilities can
follow it?  :-)

(I must admit that your email address adds a certain weight to
whatever you have to say about measuring bandwidth.)

> I believe that the method is chosen for its simplicity and that
> justifications of its validity are completely after the fact. The
> simplicity is that one keeps a previously calculated value and
> averages that value with the current measurement and saves the
> result for the next iteration, i.e. add and shift right.

I thought about calculating the average between the "average" and the
"current" speed, and use that for ETA, but it sounded too arbitrary
and I didn't have time to gather empirical evidence that it was any
better than just using average.  Again, I'd be grateful if you could
provide some code.

> You must chose how to normalize the measurement based on
> irregularity in the measurement interval, however.

I'm afraid I can't parse this without understanding the algorithm.