Mauro Tortonesi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> > what about the patch for src/url.c?
>>
>> It looks fine, but I'm not sure I understand why it's necessary to
>> install full IP address understanding at the URL parsing level.
>
> please, take a look at RFC 2732. it is just 6 pages long and it is
> an IETF standard that defines the right way in which URLs should be
> parsed.

OK.

>> Can you show me an example of a URL that failed to parse?
>
> the problem was not with false negatives, but with false positives
> instead. URLs like:
>
> http://[2001.23]/
> ftp://[dead:beef:dead:beef:dead:beef:dead:beef:dead:beef:dead:beef:dead:beef:..2]
> were considered valid IPv6 addresses. this is clearly wrong and not
> RFC 2732 compliant.

Ah, now I see what you mean.  I don't quite agree with the idea of URL
parsing code containing knowledge of IPv6 (or any other!) addresses,
but since rfc2732 accepted it, I guess I'll go with it.

Please mail the patch to wget-patches; I'll apply it.

If you have patches for Wget's configure.in to work with Autoconf
2.5x, I'll gladly accept those, too.

> moreover, the code was not efficient, as the loop was not stopped
> when an invalid char was encontered.

You have got to be joking -- AFAIR the loop was simply looking for
']', which is much more efficient than full parsing of the address
which you implement!

Either way, the URLs with "[...]" addresses are still extremely rare,
so performance is not affected either way.