For the unknown date case, I also used some imprecise dates in the past, if
you set  date withe a precision of the century around the last time it wa
known active for example, you get something semantically correct and that
is probably esaier to handle in queries (athough the way to handle
imprecise or overlapping dates interval in date comparison for the query
engine is probably not known yet :) I'm curious to know)