Quick reply to Denny and Gerard:

@Denny: I think it makes sense to treat qualifiers under a closed-world semantics. That is: what is not there can safely be assumed to be false. In this I agree with Gerard. OTOH, I don't think it hurts very much to add them anyway.

@Gerard: Please note that the use of novalue in qualifiers does not have any negative effects on tools that rely on the value not being there. We do not encode "novalue" as a special value, so tools that search for some arbitrary value will never find novalues (on any level: statement, qualifier, reference). So, overall, it is not such a big deal if people add novalue qualifiers in some places. Only tool developers who create own query services (not based on our RDF exports) must be aware that it would not be a good idea to treat "novalue" like a value internally. But that's a very small and rather competent group :-)

Anyway, even if we generally agree that "not stated" means "not true" on the level of qualifiers, there could be cases where the explicit "novalue" could be valuable as documentation for other human users.

Regards,

Markus