I guess number of instances works in more cases, for example the number of
iphone ever built could work ... actually if I look at the ''Population''
article in frwiki, I get "Une *population* est un ensemble d'individus ou
d'éléments partageant une ou plusieurs caractéristiques qui servent à les
regrouper." (a population is a set of individuals or elements sharing one
or several characters that allows to regroup them", this seems another word
for "class" :) So I guess it's just a matter of vocabulary.

I guess the population of earth is the number of instances of the "human on
earth" class :)

On the other hand, human population is kind of a natural property for a
country, its number of wolfes for example may not be worth having a
property. Having an item "French Wolf" with a property "number of
instances" is way more convenient and generic, and could avoid the burden
of having to create (potentially a big number of) properties for each kind
of animals we might want to store population in some places.