2009/2/19 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonav...@gmail.com>:
> If I read that correctly the upshot seemed to be that just by
> translating articles from the non-English language wikipedias
> (presuming they would not be deleted immediately because of
> a lack of English language web-sources :-( that is) there would
> be fertile ground for an addition of around two million new
> articles to the English language wikipedia.

That was in summer 2006, the latest stats in the updates correspond to
4 million articles waiting for translation (although that's an over
estimate since it doesn't take into account articles that exist in
multiple languages, just not English). The test is very imprecise and
should only be used to give a rough idea - I think we can say there
are "millions" of articles waiting for translation, anything more than
that would be false precision.