On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:27 AM, David Goodman <dgoodma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Britannica in its various incarnations and Encarta were excellent and
> useful reference works. Britannica remains useful.  Encarta I think
> could have remained useful also. I really regret that we had a role in
> killing it.  Why should we be pleased?
> The commercial organizations need to compete. We do not.  The more
> encyclopedias the better.

One reason we might be pleased is if we take the explanation from the
FAQ (which seems to have been taken down) at face value:

"Encarta has been a popular product around the world for many years.
However, the category of traditional encyclopedias and reference
material has changed. People today seek and consume information in
considerably different ways than in years past. As part of Microsoft’s
goal to deliver the most effective and engaging resources for today’s
consumer, it has made the decision to exit the Encarta business.
Microsoft’s vision is that everyone around the world needs to have
access to quality education, and we believe that we can use what we’ve
learned and assets we’ve accrued with offerings like Encarta to
develop future technology solutions. In doing so, we feel strongly
that we are making the right investments that will help make our
vision a reality."

If the people at Microsoft are going to put resources behind serious
innovation in the educational reference space, then the loss of an
encyclopedia could be offset with the gain of something better.

It's not hard to see that the writing is on the wall for Britannica as
well.  The recent subscriber-submitted edits thing is just a gimmick
to drum up a few more subscribers, and evidence of how bad their
situation is.

But this is part of a bigger story... the market for newspapers is
crumbling as well (a situation I think Clay Shirky explains very well
in a recent essay:
http://www.shirky.com/weblog/2009/03/newspapers-and-thinking-the-unthinkable/
), and if anything, Wikipedia has had a small hand in slowing their
decline.  We don't run ads (and so don't further dilute the ad-space
marketplace) and we intentionally privilege newspaper content over the
blogs and other new media that usually get blamed for the newspapers'
decline...which both reifies their authority and drives traffic to
their archival content.  (The decline in newspaper journalism is going
to spell trouble for Wikipedia as more and more often there will be no
simple rubric for identifying reliable sources.  What happens when
Huffington Post, with its new endowment for investigative journalism,
starts breaking stories and newspapers are the ones simply doing
analysis after the fact?)

If Wikipedia hadn't killed Encarta, would it be dying anyway by now?
I think probably so.  (Remember, Britannica's present difficulties
started in the 1990s, in part because of Encarta and in part because
of the Internet in general.)

-Sage (User:Ragesoss)