on 10/16/10 9:01 AM, Charles Matthews at charles.r.matth...@ntlworld.com
wrote:

> It was settled early on that we are writing an encyclopedia. Before I
> started editing. What has happened since then? Well, we have had some
> divas on the site who have thought that we should focus on things that
> are basically all about them rather than the encyclopedia. And this has
> been a strategy partially successful in its own terms. But fundamentally
> I don't think such people have won the argument, however much harder
> they may have made it to see the "community" as primarily a working
> environment. That's what it remains, a highly interactive place in which
> to do voluntary work on an encyclopedia.

No, Charles, an environment alone does not build an encyclopedia; or, for
that matter, any other group project. There are two elements involved: the
effort required to work on the substance and goals of the project, and an
equal effort to build and maintain the group, yes, the "community" of
persons collaborating to achieve the goals of the project.

Marc Riddell