More than maintaining the articles,and more than maintaining the
group, the focus should be on maintain the continual and increasing
development of new editors and new articles--not just as content
creators, but as gnomes, and techies, and admins. The excitement of
working here has not just been on our wide influence, but of
_developing_  something that will have wide influence, and of
developing it in a way which will be self- perpetuating. Many people
and many  groups have written  encyclopedia, but very few have done as
we have,  developed a new way of creating them, and other material
also.

This is not a finite project., and will remain a  matter not just of
replacement , but of further grown. Based on other human institutions,
we are not likely to even attain a finished form or a finite bod of
knowledge.    I think that should be seen here also as what our goal
should be. I don't want as much to continue what I do in Wikipedia ,
as to have others continue it , while I learn new things to do, and
find people who will do things that I've not even dreamed of being
capable of. If i have a choice between rescuing   articles, or
rescuing even one editor, It's the editor who matters--in the hope
that they will write many articles and in their turn encourage yet
more editors.

We're an educational institution in two senses: we write educational
material forv the world in general, and we educate each other.

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Charles Matthews
<charles.r.matth...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>  On 16/10/2010 15:23, Marc Riddell wrote:
>>> On 15/10/2010 22:36, MuZemike wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> towards the editors?
>> on 10/16/10 9:01 AM, Charles Matthews at charles.r.matth...@ntlworld.com
>> wrote:
>>> It was settled early on that we are writing an encyclopedia. Before I
>>> started editing. What has happened since then? Well, we have had some
>>> divas on the site who have thought that we should focus on things that
>>> are basically all about them rather than the encyclopedia. And this has
>>> been a strategy partially successful in its own terms. But fundamentally
>>> I don't think such people have won the argument, however much harder
>>> they may have made it to see the "community" as primarily a working
>>> environment. That's what it remains, a highly interactive place in which
>>> to do voluntary work on an encyclopedia.
>>>
>> No, Charles, an environment alone does not build an encyclopedia; or, for
>> that matter, any other group project. There are two elements involved: the
>> effort required to work on the substance and goals of the project, and an
>> equal effort to build and maintain the group, yes, the "community" of
>> persons collaborating to achieve the goals of the project.
>>
> Think what you like. The actual membership of the "group" has changed
> much more than the pages on which matters are discussed, as places to
> exchange views and information. You also are misreading what I said.
> Where do I imply "alone"?
>
> Charles

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.