Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On 17 February 2010 22:15, Charles Matthews
> <charles.r.matth...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> The logic of soliciting donations is always that if there is more money,
>> more can be done. Money doesn't make the world of the WMF go round, but
>> in the real world money tends to be given to those who show they know
>> the value of it.
>>

> Did you have a point?

It is not obvious to me that a fee cut will affect membership much. I'm
concerned that cutting fees is not actually a "membership drive" that
will increase membership and participation, but a soft option. I'm
concerned if there is unanimity that this move is a good thing.

And I'm also concerned about your continuing rudeness on this list. I
have some experience in club organisation and a national voluntary
organisation, and I've been through the "let's cut membership/people
don't join because of the fee" discussion and its consequences in two
other contexts. I'm pretty busy on a project at the moment, and my
interest in participating as an active member of WMUK is not a given.

If an organisation underprices itself in terms of membership, it affects
expectations (of what it will do for the members, of what the members
can agitate to have happen). There was some talk of hiring admin help,
which is the first step in developing a more solid structure that can
actually fulfil tasks that involve more than a bit of emailing around
and wiki editing. If WMUK needs such support, which I would say was the
case, then dropping the fee is undermining the idea that funds can be
raised that can be hypothecated to having administration and routine
work done. If say 400 hours a year staff work is to be done, on behalf
of things the members would like to see move forward, then this needs to
be funded sensibly, and money should not be waved away. The reciprocal
relationship of members paying into an organisation, and things
happening, is actually healthy.

Charles