>The current direction is to encourage in-browser client side
>transcoding. This offloads the costs of server side transcoding
and
>maximizes quality letting us supply the transcode settings for
>generating theora files from the HD or DV source.  Instead of
users
>uploading intermediary format at low bandwidth & arbitrary
encode
>quality settings.
Why can we not do server-side transcoding to derive a few files
(ie 3 levels of quality, plus an animated gif thumbnail...?) akin
to Archive.org?
This seems to work nicely for them (and me, when I used it).
Simply upload your file, and it automatically transcodes the file
into the appropriate derivative files. This is certainly a lot
easier than asking the user to do it (most have no sweet clue,
and even experienced users are in over their head), and ensures
that the derived files have a minimal level of quality (ie no
transoding mistakes, which is easy to do if you don't know what
you're doing), saves the user time and energy, and also automates
a repetitive task. If we're asking users to upload several sizes
of a video because we can't "thumbnail" while streaming it then
instead of making them transcode it a bunch of times so there are
a few sizes of the file, WMF servers can do it.
Incidentally, archive.org required me to transfer the file via
FTP, which would also be /very/ nice to allow on WMF servers.
Cheers,
Mike
----
  Mike.lifeguard