On Jan 19, 2009, at 21:35, Michael Dale <md...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>> This does
>> client side transcoding, but as far as the user can tell it's all
>> done
>> by the server.... except no long transmission time for his 14gbyte DV
>> movie. (although, perhaps a long transcoding time. :) )
>>
> At some talks here a FOMS (foundations of open source media) meeting
> we
> discussed adding support for uploading _while_ transcoding to
> firefogg.
> Also we will talked about supporting splitting the encoded file every
> meg or so and re-assembling them on the server.  This way if your
> browser http POST connection gets reset halfway though your upload it
> will just resume on the next chunk instead of starting from scratch.

Ooooh that'd be awesome!

> (eventually we could support the
> http://code.google.com/p/gears/wiki/ResumableHttpRequestsProposal )
>
> We also discussed adding dirac support to firefogg... Other related
> stuff was discussed...I will try and do a full wikimedia related
> report
> back from FOMS shortly.

Dirac would be cool in a future-facing way; right now there's not the
player support we'd really want.

One way or another we definitely need to plan for handling high-
quality source material as well as the lower-size/quality/bitrate
files we're pumping out today.

> To further respond to Mike.lifeguard inquiry:
>
> If people can operate an FTP and have the massive bandwidth
> necessary to
> upload source material I highly recommend they upload to
> archive.org. We
> will be supporting archive.org as a remote repository so it will be
> easy
> to embed any ogg piece from there into a wikipedia article see:
> http://metavid.org/blog/2008/12/08/archiveorg-ogg-support/
>
> I don't think wikimedia is targeting (in the immediate future) the
> multi-petabyte storage and multi-thousand cpu system necessary to
> store
> and transcode original DV and MPEG2 streams of everything.  I think it
> makes sense to partner with like minded organizations for this
> purpose.

They're good buds of ours and I totally agree with this. :)

- brion