> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>> This does
>> client side transcoding, but as far as the user can tell it's all done
>> by the server.... except no long transmission time for his 14gbyte DV
>> movie. (although, perhaps a long transcoding time. :) )

Remember to add some message like 'Uploading a low-res version. Keep the
original if you want it full-res for the future.' We don't want anyone
thinking 'I uploaded this 14GB file. Now I can delete as they keep a
copy.' without fully understanding it. Some people deleted their photos
after uploading to commons.

Michael Dale wrote:
> At some talks here a FOMS (foundations of open source media) meeting we
> discussed adding support for uploading _while_ transcoding to firefogg.
As far as you can transcode faster than upload...

> Also we will talked about supporting splitting the encoded file every
> meg or so and re-assembling them on the server.  This way if your
> browser http POST connection gets reset halfway though your upload it
> will just resume on the next chunk instead of starting from scratch.
> (eventually we could support the
> http://code.google.com/p/gears/wiki/ResumableHttpRequestsProposal )

Resumable uploads are really needed. And designing not only the server
(as usual) but also the client we can finally do it.

> If people can operate an FTP and have the massive bandwidth necessary to
> upload source material I highly recommend they upload to archive.org. We
> will be supporting archive.org as a remote repository so it will be easy
> to embed any ogg piece from there into a wikipedia article see:
> http://metavid.org/blog/2008/12/08/archiveorg-ogg-support/
>
> I don't think wikimedia is targeting (in the immediate future) the
> multi-petabyte storage and multi-thousand cpu system necessary to store
> and transcode original DV and MPEG2 streams of everything.  I think it
> makes sense to partner with like minded organizations for this purpose.
>
> peace,
> --michael

It's sensible, but unless it can be done now, really really few people
will bother to upload the file to commons *and* the full version to
archive.org
If people could point to a archive.org file instead of uploading, with
proper tutorials, it could get more popular. It doesn't need transcoding
(even though we would be leeching the transcoded file from archive.org)
We could even store just a reference to archive.org instead of the full
transcoded file if there're concerns about disk space once people start
auto-linking to archive.org. It wouldn't be too nice for their servers,
but as it's into their mission and have the resources, they may be
willing to do that.
It would alsoserve to present archive.org to many people who hasn't
still heard about it.