Since we seem to routinely have our deployment linger a bit behind trunk
but still need to make updates on it, I've gone ahead and created a
branch with out live versions of MediaWiki & extensions on it:

http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/branches/wmf-deployment

Misc coders: please don't commit to it or we break you. :)

With Subversion 1.5 or later on the client, merging updates from trunk
should be easier, as SVN now saves merge info into properties and can
more intelligently figure out where you last left off. For instance to
update the UsabilityInitiative extension to the current version from trunk:

cd extensions/UsabilityInitiative
svn merge \
svn+ssh://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/UsabilityInitiative
svn commit

The theoretical workflow is:
* Merge updates that need to go live into branches/wmf-deployment
* Test it locally & on staging server (once we've got a nicer staging
area set up)
* Update deployment master: svn up
* Poke live test on test.wikipedia.org
* Deploy updates to all servers: scap

For the moment I've applied the various 'svn up' and manually merged
live patches from our live deployment, with the exception of any
_manually added_ files. There's a lot of cruft and I'm not sure yet
which of the extra files are ancient one-offs and which we really need. :)

We'll want to test a fresh checkout on test.wikipedia for a bit before
syncing live to all wikis.

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)