Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> When the updates for "Wikimedia life" have to go into this new branch, what
> is then the status of the trunk? Will all the updates *have* to go into
> trunk as well and will they ? Or will trunk suffer from bit rot and
> consequently will everyone work on this new branch ? What will be the status
> of the extensions NOT used by the WMF ?? When an update to a new release
> happens, will trunk and this new branch be merged and how will the effects
> on extensions be assessed ???

There is *ABSOLUTELY NO* difference from what has been going on
previously, except that the state of our deployment checkout will
actually be reproducible and trackable instead of mysterious and opaque.

As this is information you frequently ask us to be more open about, I
expect you should be happy about it. :)

Here's how it works:

1) ALL DEVELOPMENT IS DONE ON TRUNK

2) The wmf-deployment branch contains the snapshot of trunk (plus
partial upgrades/downgrades or other temporary hacks) that we're running
live.

Previously the state of 2) was hidden in our working directory on the
servers and could not be reproduced easily when we're in between
complete "pure" syncs from trunk.

-- brion