Michael Dale (2011-01-21 16:04):
> On 01/21/2011 08:21 AM, Chad wrote:
>> While I happen to think the licensing issue is rather bogus and
>> doesn't really affect us, I'm glad to see it resolved. It outperforms
>> our current solution and keeps the same behavior. Plus as a bonus,
>> the vertical line smushing is configurable so if we want to argue
>> about \n a year from now, we can :)
> Ideally we will be using closures by then and since it rewrites
> functions, variable names and sometimes collapses multi-line
> functionality, new line preservation will be a mute point. Furthermore,
> Google even has a nice add-on to firebug [1] for source code mapping.
> Making the dead horse even more dead.
>
> I feel like we are suck back in time, arguing about optimising code that
> came out eons ago in net time ( more than 7 years ago ) There are more
> modern solutions that take into consideration these concerns and do a
> better job at it. ( ie not just a readable line but a pointer back to
> the line of source code that is of concern )
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/closure/compiler/docs/inspector.html

Great. Now I only need to tell the user to install Firefox, install
Firebug and some other addon, open the page in Firefox... Oh, wait. This
error does not occur in Firefox...

Please, I can live with folding new lines (thou I don't believe those
few bites are worth it) acutely compiling the code (or packing as some
say) would be just evil for Mediawiki or Wikimedia to be more exact.

Just remember that people all over the world are hacking into Mediawiki
all the time. Making it harder won't help a bit.

Regards,
Nux.