On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 7:21 AM, Aryeh Gregor
<simetrical+wikil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Andrew Garrett <agarr...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>> This is really unnecessary and unhelpful on a public mailing list. I
>> think we'd all be better off if snark like this were kept to private
>> channels.
>
> Agreed.  Or better yet, not said at all.  Since we evidently no longer
> have a benevolent dictator whose word we all accept without question,
> we need to work amicably to resolve disputes, and getting into fights
> about <1% size savings vs. dubious increases in readability is really
> not useful.  At least get into fights about something *significant*.

I agree. Talk about the code, not the committer.

But I really don't think we need a benevolent dictator. Brion never really
had to step in and play traffic cop; we've all gotten along and worked well
over the years without generally needing one and I see no reason why
that needs to change now.

And yes, I think we should keep the arguments confined to major things.
Ok everyone stop for a second.

We're arguing about a few lines of vertical whitespace. Full stop.

Lets argue about complex architecture changes or something else
worthwhile. It's really not worth it to waste so many bytes (and my e-mail
now just adds to the pile, I know) over something so incredibly trivial.

Back to the subject at hand...

While I happen to think the licensing issue is rather bogus and
doesn't really affect us, I'm glad to see it resolved. It outperforms
our current solution and keeps the same behavior. Plus as a bonus,
the vertical line smushing is configurable so if we want to argue
about \n a year from now, we can :)

-Chad