On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 5:19 PM, James Forrester
<jforres...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> *TL;DR: We're proposing a more formal, but more limited, statement of
> browser 'support' for the cluster; thoughts appreciated.*
>
> In WMF Engineering, we've been struggling with what we mean by 'supporting'
> browsers, and how we can match limited developer time to our natural desire
> to make everyone happy.
>
> Right now our 'support' for user agents varies between existing features
> and in particular between different developing products, but we lack a
> single framework in which to consistently express what works and - more
> importantly - what our users should expect to work. We have a
> chronically-misleading page on
> MWwiki<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Compatibility#Browser> that
> currently claims we will support any browser which gives us more than 0.01%
> of users (an extremely-expensive claim) - this was changed in
> August<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Compatibility&diff=571245&oldid=571244>
> from
> the 0.1% threshold you see around more often, or the 1% one that we started
> with.
>
> So, the new proposal:
>
> There would be a "top level" outline policy - a small number
> of browsers are supported (i.e., WMF will keep spending money until they
> work):
>
> * Desktop: Current and immediately-previous versions of Chrome, Firefox,
> MSIE and Safari

I hate to make our job more difficult, but I think Faidon had a good point --

<Quote>
Agreed. IE 9 is only supported from Vista onwards and Windows XP is
21.29% of our user base according to the latest statsĀ¹. I'm not sure
it's realistic to say that 20% of our user base may just "happen to
work" by luck.
</Quote>

Perhaps a percentage of use threshold system would be a bit better?  I
don't see a breakdown of a % of requests per client type
(desktop/phone/tablet) here -
http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportClients.htm ,
but it should be creatable and hopefully bring a balance between
trying to come up with crazy workarounds for old clients and keeping
functionality for the vast majority of users.

Leslie

Leslie Carr
Wikimedia Foundation
AS 14907, 43821