On 21/11/2012 08:41, Quim Gil wrote:
On 11/20/2012 05:19 PM, James Forrester wrote:
* Desktop: Current and immediately-previous versions of Chrome, Firefox,
MSIE and Safari
* Tablet: Current versions of iOS/Safari; Current and immediately-previous
ones of Android
* Mobile: Current versions of iOS/Safari; Current and the five previous
ones of Android[*]

Anything not in this list may "happen to work" but WMF Engineering will not
spend resources (read, developer time) on it.

Someting to take into account is that developer teams of browsers not in Wikimedia's "Tier 1" might be interested in driving the tests themselves, as part of their productization work. Think of Opera, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Series 40... Wikipedia is a top global site and probably they are already testing their latest version against it.

We could guide them better on what to test and how to find / file / comment on bugs and contribute patches. Having a regular contact in each of those teams would be really useful.

Would this be helpful, and fitting in your browser support plans?

Frankly, the rather limited proposed support was a little surprising to me - I would have expected at least some effort toward supporting anything in the billions of hits per month. I know Wikimedia is big, and all that, but that means the support would need to be big as well... and it also means that what Quim Gil puts forward here may well be plausible.

I dunno, perhaps I'm just biased because none of the browsers I use even made the list, but different browsers can support different hardware very differently...

--
-— Isarra