On 11/20/2012 05:19 PM, James Forrester wrote:
> There would be a "top level" outline policy - a small number
> of browsers are supported (i.e., WMF will keep spending money until they
> work):

> Anything not in this list may "happen to work" but WMF Engineering will not
> spend resources (read, developer time) on it.

I don't think that a binary 'is supported' list is that helpful for the
optimization of average user experience with limited resources.

Progressive enhancement [1] (aka 'responsive design') has in the past
been very successful at making most of our users happy. If it is
technically possible to provide a sane (but not necessarily as flashy)
user experience for users of older browsers with little extra work, then
that is an easy optimization win that should not be ignored.

This does complicate matters a bit for product, as decisions in this
area are very dependent on technical detail and differ from case to
case. It would however be sad to see more manpower in product to result
in less attention being given to this detail in the name of easily
presentable support charts. Users receiving an unreasonable 'your
platform is not supported at all' message do not care about browser
support charts- all that matters to them is that they are shut out of
whatever they were trying to do.

What exactly most users are trying to do might actually vary a bit
between browser generations, which can also be exploited in the
optimization process. I would guess that experienced editors are more
likely to run recent software than anonymous users. Features geared
towards anonymous users should thus probably emphasize compatibility
over flashiness, while features aimed at power users can make more use
of recent browser technology.

Gabriel

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_enhancement
--