On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 6:21 PM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 8:38 PM, Marc A. Pelletier <m...@uberbox.org>
> wrote:
>
> > The answer is: no, obviously not.  And for that reason the MariaDB
> > developers are not allowed to simply push their latest code on our
> > infrastructure with a simple +2 to code review.
> >

> Yes, and my point is that MediaWiki developers shouldn't be able to do that
> either! Receiving a +2 should not be the only line between a patch and
> deployment. Changes should be tested *before* deployment. Nobody is saying
> that developers are not responsible for writing good and working code, but
> there needs to be guards against things like this happening.

Wikimedia uses deployment branches. Just because someone +2/merges into
master doesn't mean it immediately shows up on Wikimedia servers. It needs
to go into a deployment branch, then it needs to get deployed by a person.
Also, we use a gating model, so tests are required to pass before something
is merged. I believe there are some tests that are essential, but take too
long to run, so they aren't gating, but the situation isn't as dire as you
claim.

- Ryan