Thanks for you help. I understand now. Can you tell what I might have missed
to cause the ACL not to be set on the MachineKeys folder? Have I missed
something in how I've configured this? I've added the following code to a
separate Fragment file and my understanding is that this file will be pulled
into the installer. I have not referenced the file anywhere.

The full path to the MachineKeys folder is:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys

<Fragment>
    <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
      <Directory Id="AppDataFolder">
        <Directory Id="dir6A68E13632B544EDA8F393F83B23F439"
Name="Microsoft">
          <Directory Id="dir03FB174C3B8F4214AF6A130B8EAA7BA1" Name="Crypto">
            <Directory Id="dirE956646E44EE4A23B07BD0A84D969F55" Name="RSA">
              <Directory Id="dir9210B4F4F4A24357A3954AFC771C9E28"
Name="MachineKeys">
                <Component Id="MachineKeysFolderPermissions"
Guid="352963FCB3794D8E9B9BE725929B5C47">
                  <CreateFolder>
                    <util:PermissionEx User="NETWORK SERVICE"
GenericAll="yes" ChangePermission="yes"  />
                  </CreateFolder>
                </Component>
              </Directory>
            </Directory>