I already made that change. I ran the installer with logging turned on and
saw where it executed my two CustomActions and the installation completed
fine. It's just that "Network Service" never gets added to the MachineKeys
folder nor are any permissions set in the folder.

MSI (s) (58:A4) [10:34:24:193]: Doing action: CA_AclPermissions
Action 10:34:24: CA_AclPermissions.
Action start 10:34:24: CA_AclPermissions.
Action ended 10:34:24: CA_AclPermissions. Return value 1.
MSI (s) (58:A4) [10:34:24:383]: Doing action: CA_EncryptConnString
Action 10:34:24: CA_EncryptConnString.
Action start 10:34:24: CA_EncryptConnString.
Action ended 10:34:27: CA_EncryptConnString. Return value 1.