Okay. When I wanted to learn I went straight to the guru Dave Shea. He gave me the best 2 resources:

1. "Eric Meyer on CSS" You can find this book here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/073571245X/ qid=1071555113/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-5606242-1912942?v=glance&s=books

2. http://www.dezwozhere.com/links.html
This is a page of links for all things CSS. I'm on it all the time. Wow what a resource.
This page took me to the beginning place that I learned it all. Go through this tutorial and you'll be doing exactly what you just asked in a matter of hours:
http://www.wpdfd.com/editorial/basics/index.html (CSS from the ground up) and specifically steps 7 - 9. The chances are you'll now the first few steps already. I did when I went through it, but it was a good refresher and it explains some good typography tips.

I hope these help.

Also read these group discussions everyday and don't be afraid to ask anything on subject. Also listen to Hugh Todd. He knows his stuff. He saved me in a crunch!

Shane Helm
{ sonzeDesignStudio™