I'm not sure that listing styles alphabetically is going to make it easier for someone following me to work on a stylesheet I have created. The header-content-footer ordering may not be technically correct but it is the method most people use and therefore I will use that.

As for the ordering of statements within a style (that was my original question but the diversions have been helpful), what about using a foreground to background method? I'm looking for a kind of conceptual hierarchy that is easily remembered. For example

font
color
width
height