Within QuickTime there are are many codecs available, including AVI, MPEGs 1
& 2 and MPEG 4, etc. This is what I've found (the hard way) when dealing
with video:

AVI is an old MS codec that they haven't supported in years that thrill
Windows users because of the small file sizes. IMHO, the quality is
terrible. Windows Media player is available for both Mac OS 9 and OSX and
some of us Mac users secretly harbor this player, although we never display
it on our hard drives! As Terrence said, the size issue is great, the
quality can be good, if you know what you're doing. I've used QuickTime Pro
and MPEG 4 with the most success with both audio and video across platforms.
The sizes aren't bad, but it does require the user to have the latest QT 6
plug-in. Either format would work with some experimentation. As far as Linux
is concerned, I haven't a clue.

I don't know about the sleaze factor of Real, but I do know that special
plug-ins are required in order to convert to Real. Besides, the Real
interface is, let's face it, real bad...

Flash is an alternative, but will require someone with a very good
understanding of how to use the program as it can be a slow and tedious
process. I've mixed QT with Flash for some good results. So much depends on
what exactly is involved in the "small video." If you're talking just video
or audio/video and/or special effects etc. There is no easy, simple answer
without knowing what exactly you need. And even then, there is no easy
answer.

Wayne Godfrey
President, Creative Director
Outgate Media, Inc.