Hi Charlie,
I know what you mean, I did many redesign stuff and find out that I wasn't
able to understand my own css file (that was awful).
You can see a sample at http://www.echo3d.com/css/screen.css
It "looks" complex but if you pay attention, you'll see that everything is
in order.

Here is some simple rules I apply and know what? I am not lost anymore in my
CSS :)

Hugues Brunelle
Concepteur graphique

//////////////////////////////
ECHO tridimension
2139 rue Masson
Montréal QC  H2H 1A8

1-(514)5211360
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

4 simple rules :

1.0 Divide your one and only (I split CSS only for different media, not for
different part of design.) CSS structure into 3 main themes like

        /* GENERIC ELEMENTS : HTML 4.01 */
        /* SPECIFIC ATTRIBUTES : ID */
        /* RECURRING ATTRIBUTES : CLASS */

2.0 Use alphabetic because code should not rule the way you design (think
about when you start shifting stuff on top and moving others on bottom)

        /* GENERIC ELEMENTS : HTML 4.01 */

        a {
        }
        abbr {
        }
        acronym {
        }

        /* SPECIFIC ATTRIBUTES : ID */
        /* RECURRING ATTRIBUTES : CLASS */

3.0 Make good use of descendant selectors

        /* GENERIC ELEMENTS : HTML 4.01 */

        a {
        }
        abbr {
        }
        acronym {
        }
        h1 {
        }
        h1 em {
        }
        h1 em a {
        }

        /* SPECIFIC ATTRIBUTES : ID */
        /* RECURRING ATTRIBUTES : CLASS */

4.0 Choose the appropriate terminology to keep alphabetic order logical and
respect it no matter what (avoid terms like "red-text" or "1em" in your
class or id name)

        /* GENERIC ELEMENTS : HTML 4.01 */

        a {
        }