designer wrote:
I have been using Neil Crosby's PHP approach on [1] (see signature, below) and it works 'OK', BUT, if I omit the meta tag:

Lachlan says this is simply incorrect, so I'm a bit confused by all this.

Did you read my article [1] which Rimantas referred you to? That explains what you're supposed to do. You need to use real HTTP headers, not the inferior meta element. The end of that article links to another that actually explains how to set the charset parameter in the HTTP headers using various servers and server-side scripting languages [2].

For PHP, it's as simple as calling this PHP function before any of the page content is output.

For HTML 4 and Appendix C compatible XHTML

header("Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8");

Or, for real XHTML

header("Content-Type: application/xhtml+xml");

(The charset parameter is only really needed for text/* media types, for XML served with an application/* media type, the XML declaration is recommended for use instead which may be omitted for UTF-8 and UTF-16)

[1] http://lachy.id.au/log/2006/01/content-type
[2] http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset

--
Lachlan Hunt