Nick Fitzsimons wrote:
> On 8 Mar 2007, at 16:37:15, Thierry Koblentz wrote:
>> But this definition applies to more than just table elements,
>> isn't? In the
>> above, we could replace the words "first column" with "dt" and
>> "second column" with "dd" and it would make as much sense...

> On the other hand, I personally believe that the use of a dl in this
> example would make no *semantic* sense. After all, given the term
> "President", the definition of that term would be something like "The
> individual in charge of the organisation". "John Smith" simply cannot
> be seen as a *definition* of the term "President", but is rather the
> personal name of that entity which is *denoted* by the term
> "President".
> If it was called a "denotation list", then fair enough; but it's a
> definition list, for grouping terms with their definitions (whatever
> vague examples may be given in the standard).

I see your point, but I'm not sure I agree as "definition" is often replaced
by "description" which leaves more room for interpretation.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/lists.html#h-10.3
The two examples given would relate to the "definition" concept you point
out, but what about:
<quote>
Another application of DL, for example, is for marking up dialogues, with
each DT naming a speaker, and each DD containing his or her words.
</quote>
In this case, the words in the DDs are *not* the definition of the speakers,
it's even far from that...

> Note also that all the elements and attributes of the HTML table
> model that promote accessibility (summary, caption, axis, headers,
> scope, abbr) are absent when a list of some kind is used. Still, I've
> never come across anybody other than myself who uses them anyway :-(

I don't think simple tables call for all the attributes in the box though.
But anyway, talking about accessibility, marking up the given example with
"accessible" table markup, would - imho - make screenreader users listen to
information (mostly related to the table itself, not its content) they
wouldn't even need to understand the data if it was marked up as a simple DL
for example.

---
Regards,
Thierry | www.TJKDesign.com