Hi Blake,

Garret Dimmon used <small> for the purpose you are suggesting in his site
redesign. He explains his reasoning behind it in this article on digital
web  (http://www.digital-web.com/articles/coding_for_content/).

It's down to personal preference but I think the reasoning is pretty good.

Regards,
Andrew Ingram