Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> For less important, there currently isn't an
> alternative, so <small> (albeit presentational)
> may be the only option ... or just going for a

FWIW, I use the small element on my blog, on my latest WordPress theme, and
for Accessites [1] -- all use the same theme. On the home page the small
element contains the tag line, and it contains the article/page title on
inside pages. Like so:
<h1><span></span>Accessites.org
semantically pure this method is I do not know. I am comfortable with it is
all. The span is meaningless, but does happen to contain the [replacement]
image over the still accessible text, the small break is a pause and
conveniently breaks the line into two lines, then displays the secondary
text that is in a way visually better -- without styles, that is, as it's
not seen if styles are enabled. Moreover, I don't think it's in any way
damaging doing it this way, and it's not bad for feeding search engines.

This is the only time I will use h1 on any page. Next up is h2.

I also use small to contain author credit line and other bits of less
important content. Again, this is a practice I feel comfortable with. I'm
not saying it is the right way. There are many methods as have been explored
here. This one just happens to be mine.

Cheers.
Mike Cherim

[1] http://accessites.org/