On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 21:19 +1100, nedlud wrote:
> Okay, so I *should* be concerned about this, in spite of what my
> common sense tells me.
>
> So what can we, as web professionals (in Australia), do about it?
>
> I've signed the getup petition. What's the next step?

You could _write_ a letter to Senator Conroy, you local MP and all
Senators who represent your state.  As many politicians aren't that
cluey they tend to ignore emails or at least consider them far less
important than snailed letters.  It costs you less than $5 to print and
post letters to the list above - even cheaper if you live in the ACT or
NT :)  If you feel like it send letters to the PM and leader of the
opposition too.  Make each letter unique and don't just use an online
sample, make it relevant to you.

Think about why are you concerned about this, how may it impact _you_?
Why are you writing to a particular MP/Senator?  Why should they listen
to (or read) what you have to say?

This gives you some indication of my letter to Senator Conroy -
http://tinyurl.com/conroy-letter  For my MP it will be similar, but for
senators it will be a bit more filter focused.

I hope this gives you some inspiration about how you can make your views
known.  Keep in mind, only emailing the minister and signing an online
opinion will register to marks in the against column.

Cheers

Dave who should finish his letter writing campaign