On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 12:33 -0800, David Hucklesby wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Marvin Hunkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi.
> >> rebuilding my site.
> >> and i have the following fonts in my style sheet.
> >>
> >> georgia, century school book, courrier, new courrier, comic ms, and
> >> others. but i
> >> notice, that on my local hard disk, or when i did have it on the web, but
> >> closed it
> >> for copyright issues. it was only displaying  arial. did try searching on
> >> google. but
> >> found a couple of sites, but did not work. so where can i download fonts
> >> for my site?
>
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 13:12:36 +1100, James Ducker replied:
> > As a general rule you cannot use non-system fonts on the web, as the end
> > user needs to
> > have them installed as well (I think this is what you're asking?). One
> > workaround is to
> > use sIFR ( http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/sifr/ ). Also, here is a list
> > of fonts
> > that are generally considered to be web safe:
> > http://web.mit.edu/jmorzins/www/fonts.html
> >

> Umm. Most of the fonts Marvin lists are available on most computers.
> I think he is saying that he does not have them on *his* computer, so
> wants to download them so he can see how each affects his design.
>
> I am on Mac, and would like to install some Windows-only fonts
> for myself. Anyone?

I originally replied to Marvin offlist, but I will post a modified
version of my response here as others seem interested in it.

To get the "standard" Windows fonts, you need to grab them from
sourceforge using the following instructions.

Just append the filename to the end of the URL listed below, here is the
list of files.

andale32.exe
arialb32.exe
arial32.exe
comic32.exe
courie32.exe
georgi32.exe
georgi32.exe
impact32.exe
times32.exe
trebuc32.exe
verdan32.exe
webdin32.exe

So for Arial you would use
http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/arialb32.exe

The .exe file are windows cabinets.  Top extract the on a mac try
http://cabextract.darwinports.com/ .  Note: I don't own a mac, but if
you send me one I will happily test this on it :)

You might also want to install the Liberation fonts
https://fedorahosted.org/liberation-fonts/  which ship with most modern
Linux distros and are released under the terms of the GPL (with an
exemption which stops working using the fonts becoming subject to the
GPL).

Cheers

Dave