Blockquote is one of those tags that was badly misused for styling purposes.
Now it can only be used within a block level element, namely p. I like to
use the q tag because it introduces quote marks in Firefox.

I can't see what value it now has. Being a block quote you would assume it
is a block element but if it requires a container it just seems to be an
unnecessary layer. Wouldn't it be better to simply encase a quote in a p and
give a class 'blockquote'?

On 4 April 2010 03:39, T. R. Valentine <trvalent...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Apparently, <blockquote></blockquote> cannot be used alone. It
> produces 'character data is not allowed here'. What does it need?
>
> Also, can the <blockquote> tag have a class assigned to it?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> T. R. Valentine
> Your friends will argue with you. Your enemies don't care.
> 'When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food
> and clothes.' -- Erasmus

Chris Price
0777 629 0227

follow me at http://twitter.com/hypergossip_uk