Hi - I'm new to Lua and wx as well.
I downloaded Lua 5.1, and was reading the wxlua manual 2.8.

Section 6.1 - How to run the samples.

I use Windows, and found the instructions rather complicated (what is the $ - I
guess it is the Unix prompt).
Anyway, I simply double-clicked on the sample files to run them!

So, I wondered if the manual is not up-to-date with the file associations set up
by the latest Lua.
Best Wishes
Mike