Assuming you mean /var/log/messages and dmesg, they say nothing about SMIs
except what I previously wrote.

I have managed to boot with SMI disabled in BIOS. The only trouble is I have to
manually go into the BIOS bootloader and select to boot from USB every time or
it reports there is no bootable device. It warns in the BIOS that disabling SMI
will cause legacy USB boot to not work, so I presume this is the cause since my
root fs is on a USB attached compact flash.

I will try now running tests with SMI disabled in the BIOS.